About Me

My photo
Growing up in Oregon, I constantly heard wise words from my mother like "lets recycle that," "you can walk," "don't use too much water," "whole wheat is better than white," "no dessert if you don't eat your vegetables," "dark lettuce is better for you than light," "paper over plastic," "don't leave anything behind" and so much more. Her healthy ways got me into many sports and helped turn me into a record-setting track athlete. In 2006, my mother lost a 3 year battle with Lou Gehrig's Disease; something nobody would have ever expected. That was right around the time I joined the Surfrider Foundation in San Diego and had my first child, whom she never met. Now 10 years have passed since losing my mother, yet volunteering for the Surfrider Foundation, and becoming a mother, I've noticed her words have come through clearer than ever. In addition to personal training and triathlon coaching, I have done some blogging to help our planet, and improve lives. I hope you enjoy my content, and join me in my journey for a cleaner planet and promoting happier, healthier lives!

Friday, June 27, 2014

Goodbye Plastic Bags!

Last night my kids and I handed out hundreds of free reusable bags (with other volunteers), compliments of the City of San Diego, and the Surfrider Foundation.  Yep, we LOVE to volunteer for Surfrider, as their efforts always benefit the environment, particularly the world's oceans, waves, and beaches.  We witness visible changes first-hand.
Can you imagine our excitement this night, watching hundreds of people walk out of the store using our cloth bags instead of plastic?  A BIG thanks to VONS for supporting our efforts, for their employees' positive energy, their baggers politely assisting customers with the bags, and them happily taking bags for their own use.  Yes, there were still plenty of excuses like "I don't need them," but the fact remains, plastic bags will soon be gone at check-out counters.

For those one or two out there that "don't believe in reusable bags," the fact is that before a city bans a bag, they do a detailed cost and environmental analysis.  When cloth bags are re-used, they consistently come out ahead for cost and eco-friendliness.  A big THANK YOU to anyone who is using reusables over plastics already.  Here is more information on where bans have already taken place, and what to do if you'd like your city to join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment