About Me

My photo
Growing up in Oregon, I constantly heard wise words from my mother like "lets recycle that," "you can walk," "don't use too much water," "whole wheat is better than white," "no dessert if you don't eat your vegetables," "dark lettuce is better for you than light," "paper over plastic," "don't leave anything behind" and so much more. Her healthy ways got me into many sports and helped turn me into a record-setting track athlete. In 2006, my mother lost a 3 year battle with Lou Gehrig's Disease; something nobody would have ever expected. That was right around the time I joined the Surfrider Foundation in San Diego and had my first child, whom she never met. Now 10 years have passed since losing my mother, yet volunteering for the Surfrider Foundation, and becoming a mother, I've noticed her words have come through clearer than ever. In addition to personal training and triathlon coaching, I have done some blogging to help our planet, and improve lives. I hope you enjoy my content, and join me in my journey for a cleaner planet and promoting happier, healthier lives!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Guilt-Free Cookie Making

Or mostly. ;)  Yeah, I know, what is a personal trainer doing writing about cookies?  The way I look at it, since nobody wants to give up cookies completely, and everybody needs SOME fat, why not compromise with smaller serving sizes of home-made natural, nutrient-dense cookies instead of purchasing an over-plasticy packaged tub of over-sized, garbage-filled, nutrient-poor cookies?

Now, how we keep guilt to a minimum: make SMALL cookies.  As soon as the cookies cool, put them into several reusable bags that you can put in the freezer or give away to friends.

 The guilt comes when cookies are in plain view, and magically disappear.  So, keep them out of sight, out of mind.  Also the small freezer bags are perfect for grabbing on the go for the beach, hikes, etc.  I don't recommend cookie jars as they're also in plain view.  This cookie jar, on the other hand, plays the "Jaws" shark tune when you open it.  So at least your family can catch you red handed. ;)

Okay, I know you want to know, here's the recipe for the cookies I just made.  No flour, butter or oil! (Of course I used Natural peanut butter and dark chocolate.)  Delicious!

Planet-friendly tip: Buy buy natural peanut butter in glass jars rather than plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment